The objective of this focus area is “To contribute to building a just East African Society through supporting movement building, social justice philanthropy as well as supporting initiatives on rights, access and equity”. Special attention in this regard is paid to the respect for human rights, upholding of human dignity, ensuring equity and fairness as well as the promotion of environmental sustainability.
The work on social justice focuses on three major sub areas viz.
- Rights, Equity and Access: Focuses on the promotion of equal access to opportunities, liberties and rights, particularly amongst disadvantaged persons/groups. Initiatives that challenge injustice and promote diversity, mutuality and inclusion are supported.
- Movement Building and Solidarity Action: Through this sub area, Akiba Uhaki Foundation supports initiatives around mobilizing, empowering and standing with the grassroots – as subjects rather than objects of social justice processes – as a basis for challenging the status quo. This is founded on the belief that the human rights framework can only effectively enhance civic power if it is people driven.
- Social Justice Philanthropy: Development outcomes are more flexible, holistic and lasting when (local) people invest in their own development. This pillar seeks to leverage local resources as a basis of ensuring sustainability, solidarity, sovereignty and social cohesion.
The major interventions strategies supported under Human Rights and Social Justice includes:
- Mobilizing, Organizing and Sensitizing: Support mobilization, organization, sensitization and strengthening of social movements towards awakened consciousness and effective civic engagement/civic action. Document and share knowledge and best practices on social movements.
- Human Rights and Social Justice (HRSJ): Support programs or initiatives that promote protect and uphold HRSJ, fundamental freedoms, solidarity, human dignity and diversity.
- Protection and Enforcement: Provide technical, financial and moral support to systems, persons and institutions engaged in supervision, protection and enforcement of human rights.
- Accountability: Support initiatives for ensuring accountability of States, Non-State Actors (NSAs) and leaders to end impunity, inequity and operationalize related protocols, treaties as well as legal, policy, constitutional and institutional framework.
- Media: Champion/facilitate existence of strong, independent, free and responsive East African media that promotes HRSJ.