Existence and enforcement of suitable, accessible and transparent constitutional, institutional, legal, regulatory and pro-poor policy mechanisms are central to the realization and sustenance of social justice. High-level political commitment is essential for attaining transformational change in such governance frameworks, set-ups and practices. The overall objective of this focus areas is “To facilitate existence of an enabling operational environment in East Africa through advocacy and promotion of social accountability, regional integration and social cohesion”. Specifically, Akiba Uhaki Foundation influencing work and support will concentrate on three major sub areas viz.
- Evidence Based Advocacy: Focuses on the suitability and effectiveness of legal, policy and institutional frameworks; accountability by governments and private sector; as well as promoting best practice within development cooperation.
- Social Accountability: Accountability, transparency and responsiveness are key cornerstones of democratic governance. Akiba Uhaki Foundation will contribute to the establishment of socio-political and economic systems in which States, Citizens and Non State Actors (CSOs, Private Sector) are accountable for their legal and moral roles, duties and obligations.
- Integration and Cohesion: Pays attention to initiatives that advance and cement cohesion and integration within East Africa as a footstool to development and sustained peaceful co-existence. The major intervention strategies under the Influencing focus area shall include:
- Policy, Legal and Institutional frameworks: Undertake and/or support advocacy initiatives towards (inclusive) development, reform and enforcement of policy, legal and institutional frameworks.
- Inclusion and Cohesion: Facilitate programs and initiatives that challenge all forms of discrimination and promote in-country and/or East African integration, social cohesion and inclusion.
- Brokering Strategic Partnerships: Support the establishment and sustenance of critical mass and strategic engagements for influencing work.
- Applied Research and Innovation: Research and disseminate knowledge and information on important/ emerging HRSJ concerns in collaboration with knowledge institutions. (These are a basis for evidence based advocacy, reflection and thinking, innovative program development and praxis).
- Networking and Linking: Facilitate, coordinate and/ or participate in value adding networking and linking initiatives, spaces, forums and platforms.